Zigerknöpfli – Zigerspätzli
for a torteKnöpfli / Spätzli dough
- 300 g white flour
- 3 eggs
- approx. 1 dl / 100 ml milk
- approx. 2 dl / 200 ml water
- 1 Msp salt
- 0 g Schabziger, grated
- 1 tablespoon frying butter
- 4 savoy / savoy cabbage leaves
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 2 tart red-cheeked apples
- 1 tablespoon pink peppercorns
- Saute the onions with the garlic in the butter until translucent, add vegetable broth and milk, bring to a boil, add the cornmeal, season with salt and pepper. Let the polenta swell in the pan with a lid or in a bowl with a lid in the preheated oven at 120°C for 1 hour.
- For the dumpling dough, mix flour, eggs, milk, water and salt until smooth, beat dough until it bubbles. For Knöpfli the dough should not be too thick. Cover and let rest for 30 minutes or longer.
- Quarter and core apples with skin, finely slice fruit quarters. Remove midrib from savoy leaves, cut leaves into squares. Steam the savoy cabbage in the butter until it has taken on a slight color, briefly steam the onions and apples, stir in the pink pepper.
- Preheat oven to 100 degrees C.
- In a large saucepan, heat plenty of salted water. Pour the dough in portions into the dumpling sieve and spread it into the boiling water. When the Knöpfli rise to the surface, remove with a slotted spoon, fill with vegetable-apple mixture and grated mountain cheese in layers in a greased gratin dish, keep warm in the oven. Sprinkle with grated Schabziger before serving.
Also works with purchased spaetzli / Knöpfli
Serve with applesauce or a colorful leaf salad.